Don’t be afraid to try sheers this spring. Sheer fabric can make an outfit look, and feel, a bit breezier; add interest to that otherwise plain top; or give a little peek of skin without going tank-top-teen-trashy. They’ll add softness and femininity to leather and create a free, bohemian look with jeans. Add some sass to a little black dress with sheer stockings (photo 3) and a fun scarf (photo 4).
There are a few things to keep in mind when wearing sheers. First, please, cut out the tags, including the laundry tag on the side seam. Nothing looks tackier and ruins the statement a sheer piece makes than tags showing through. Also, pay particular attention to undergarments when wearing sheer fabrics. Unless you are deliberately showing your bra, and it is a beautiful bra in perfect condition, don’t do it. Try wearing a strapless bra or a bra with invisible straps under a dress or shirt with sheer shoulders. (Check out our previous post on choosing the right bra here). Under a completely sheer top (photo 1), try a fitted tank in the same color, or, if you’re feeling adventurous, in a contrasting shade. Another fun way to work a completely sheer top is to wear a printed tank underneath.
1. Blue Sheer Sweater (sale $39.99, reg. $59/Macy’s): Layer over a fitted matching, white, or printed tank or tee.
2. Sheer and Lace Button Top ($24.80/Forever 21): A white tank will look best under this top. Be sure to wear a smooth white or nude bra. No bumpy lace bra texture or odd-colored bra showing through, please.
3. Sheer dot tights (sale $12.99, reg. $19.90/The Limited): Add some personality to an otherwise mundane dress or skirt with a pair of patterned tights.
4. Sheer Chevron Scarf (sale $29.99, reg. 39/6pm): A scarf is a risk-free way to update an outfit quickly. They can be layered over other pieces, tied to a handbag, or wrapped in hair.
5. Sheer and crochet top ($44/Lulu’s): Over a white tank or bathing suit top, this cute number goes well with leather or blue jean shorts.
6. Sheer Lace Yoke Top (sale $25.99, reg. $45/6pm – free shipping!): Worn with a strapless or invisible strap bra, this top is great for moms because it adds interest to the shoulders while skimming over the midsection.
7. V-neck Button Down with Lace Sleeves ($49/Lulu’s): Pair with jeans. Underneath, wear a matching or white tank.
8. Celebrate Your Soul Top ($59.99/Modcloth – free shipping and returns!): This fun, sexy top will certainly make a statement. Allow the texture to stand out against a fitted white tee, or a tee in a contrasting color (burnt orange, perhaps).
9. Sheer yoke dress ($39.95/H&M): Remember your strapless bra for this fun spin on the little black dress.
10. Tie Top ($34.90/The Limited): Cute for the office or dressed down for a school meeting.
11. One-shoulder Lavender Dress ($32.99/Charlotte Russe): This is a good option for a pear or straight shaped body as the asymmetrical top creates visual interest, drawing the eye up. The belt accentuates a small waist while the lace at the bottom draws the eyes down to shapely legs and away from strong curves, or the lack thereof, in the hip region. It will look best on apple bodies without the belt.
12. White dress with sheer stripes ($44/Lulu’s): If you need a dress for a spring or summer event, look no further. This one is perfect for Easter, a graduation, wedding, baby shower, etc.
13. Print sleeveless button-down ($12.95/H&M): Pair with jeans and a white or matching tank for a relaxed look.
14. Sheer Flutter Top (sale $54.99, reg. $99.50/6pm – free shipping!): This top can be dressed up with black skinnies and heels for an evening out or try it with jeans and sandals. A matching tank worn underneath will hide your bra.
15. “Sheer” tennis shoes ($29.95/H&M): Wear barefoot or with colored socks. Airy sneakers will help keep feet cool on those hot summer days.
(Did you like this article? If so, sign up for an email subscription to The Mommy Stylist – on the top right-hand side of the home page. You can also follow The Mommy Stylist on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.)