By Kristin Hull
Well ladies, we’ve once again come upon that dreaded time of year – swimsuit season. But, it needn’t be as bad as you think because we’ve found some figure-flatting and forgiving (i.e. gut- and butt-hiding) styles to make you feel like your nineteen-year-old self again. Remember though, you’ll have to shell out some extra dough for a quality bathing suit but it will be well worth it. After having kids (as well as getting older) those $10 bikinis at Forever 21 won’t quite do the trick. This is one instance where you absolutely must splurge for quality’s sake. Plus, a good swimsuit should last you a few years. And it will no doubt make you look better than you thought you could. And when you’re practically naked, it doesn’t get better than that.
Be sure to read the descriptions below to find out which designs will show off your best qualities and hide your worst.
(from top row, left to right)
- Anne Cole Striped One Shoulder Swimsuit ($112/South Beach Swimsuits – free shipping on orders over $100): The angled, narrow stripes slim the mid-section.
- Betsey Johnson Beauty Mark Swimdress ($148/Everything But Water): The black vertical lines help elongate the body while the non-frumpy skirt hides the hips and rear.
- Karla Coletto Red Draped Bandeau Swimsuit ($281/South Beach Swimsuits – free shipping on orders over $100): If you’re bigger in the middle this is the suit for you; the loose, draped material hides just about everything between the chest and hips.
- Tommy Bahama Scroll Paisley Swimsuit (now $85.20, reg. $98, South Beach Swimsuits – free shipping on orders over $100): The busy pattern and rouching in the middle will make you look smaller than you are.
- “Black Tie” Skirted Swimsuit ($138/Nordstrom – free shipping both ways!): We love the way the retro look is modernized on this adorable style. Cover your upper thighs, rear and hips while showing off your assets. Again, rouching will camouflage.
- Athena Harbor Island Swimsuit ($81.99/Zappos – free shipping both ways!): Apple body types will love this swimsuit as it covers their main problem area.
- DKNY Chic Stripes Spliced One-Shoulder Maillot ($112/Zappos – free shipping both ways!): Diagonal stripes are always slimming and will add curves.
- Motel 50s Style Halter Swimsuit ($59.40/Asos – free shipping both ways!): The black vertical panels on the sides of this design will make you appear narrower.
- Michael Michael Kors Racerback Scuba One-Piece ($140/Neiman Marcus – free shipping through 5/31 with code MAYFS): Like the previous swimsuit, the white vertical side panels are slimming as are the grey panels on the legs.
- Carmen Marc Valvo Malawi Floral-Print Swimdress ($159/Neiman Marcus – free shipping through 5/31 with code MAYFS): This bathing suit is a triple threat: the fifties-style fitted skirt, busy pattern and rouching will keep those soft spots well hidden.
- Betsey Johnson Shirr Delight Swimdress ($148/Everything But Water): A cute skirt will cover those lower body problem areas.
- Magicsuit Draped Swimsuit ($148/Macy’s): Another great suit for the apple figure; the loose, draped material will camouflage the middle.
(Did you like this article? If so, sign up for an email subscription to The Mommy Stylist – on the top right-hand side of the home page. You can also follow The Mommy Stylist on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.)