Join me for pedicures? Take #16MinutesForMom this Friday.
Every now and again a mom needs to do something for herself. A touch of glamour, a bit of pampering and a little private time can help us refresh and get motivated. Scheduling “me-time” into an already busy schedule is a daunting task. How can we make this all-important self-care become part of our routine?
By taking back that me-time, little by little. Sixteen minutes at a time.
Why is this so important?
In September, The Mommy Stylist launched the #16MinutesForMom movement where we encourage moms to challenge other moms to take just 16 minutes for themselves. We plan to all do it on the same day in order to support each other and motivate each other to actually do it. (You know how you plan time for yourself but it somehow never happens? Knowing your friends as well as other moms nationwide are doing the same thing on the same day can help you keep that commitment.) The movement aims to remind moms to give themselves a break. Taking time for ourselves improves our state of mind and, in turn, our relationships with our family. As moms, we need to start making it happen or we’ll burn out. Take just 16 minutes for yourself, you’ll be surprised at how good it will make you feel (and how bad you needed it). And, you’ll be proud of yourself for taking care of YOU which can only increase your self-confidence and happiness because you’ll know you did the right thing.
Below is my Friday morning setup. In fact, this is my EVERY Friday morning setup. By the end of the week, I need a break and my toes need a touch-up. I roll out of bed and pour the girls some Rice Krispies. Then, I bustle about grabbing nail polish plus the essential coffee, candle, book and snack (yum, so glad persimmons are in season!) before we all head out to the backyard. First, I clip and paint their nails and then, let them run wild; now, it’s MY TURN!
- Share this post via your favorite social media sites and tag the friends you are challenging. Ask them to comment to let you know if they are accepting the challenge.
- Mark this Friday on your calendar for 16 Minutes For Mom: Pedicures day. When everyone does it the same day, you’ll feel supported and you’ll be part of a movement to motivate moms to give themselves a break.
- To do:
- Choose a sexy/happy/chic/festive nail polish.
- Find an activity (better yet a father or grandparent) to entertain the kids.
- Grab a book, a cup of coffee or tea (or, a glass of wine if the kids are asleep), perhaps a snack or candle.
- Make yourself comfortable and get to painting.
- Added benefit: Pedicures stick around all week. Everytime you see your colorful toes, your mood will lift and you’ll feel proud of yourself for recognizing your needs.
Now, pick your Poison (Apple)…
If you’re like Kristin and I, nail polish is no scarcity in your house. It’s in every drugstore and many department stores, so there’s no need for us to tell you where to find it. Just for fun, here are some of our favorites plus some imaginative seasonal colors, like Poison Apple from Marc Jacobs.
(Did you like this article? If so, sign up for an email subscription to The Mommy Stylist – on the top right-hand side of this page. You can also follow The Mommy Stylist on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.)